Windows 10 Free Download, Should I Upgrade? The Pros & Cons
So windows 10 is finally here and is now available as a free upgrade! Here is the link >> Windows 10 download
It’s a big departure from previous versions of windows that usually come with a high price for upgrade. So what does this mean for you or your business, should you upgrade straight away?
Here are a few considerations and thoughts about the new windows 10 upgrade and if its really worth doing?
Do I Need Windows 10?
There’s a few trains of thoughts on this and it’s worth considering all the pros and cons first then it should become obvious which is the best route for your personal computer or office network.
- Latest version of windows so will be more future proof
- Windows 10 start button, finally we get the much loved start button back!
- It’s free
- It’s free (well worth a double mention!)
- New cool features, Cortana, more dynamic start button features, for more geeky features check out Lifehacker
- Stream Xbox One Games to your PC more info
- Older computers are not always capable of running Windows 10 (click here to check Windows 10 system requirements)
- Have you got your existing licence key for your current version of windows? You may need this to upgrade. See the Microsoft Windows 10 FAQ for more information regarding your windows license key
- Feature depreciation, did you know some of the old features are no longer available in Window 10, such as Windows Media Centre! For more info see Windows10 Feature depreciation
- This is a major update and it can go wrong
- Even When the upgrade is installed you may still have drivers missing for devices you use. For example office printers, scanners specialist devices such as taco readers, garage workshop testing equipment.
Windows 10 Upgrade Recommendations
Create a Windows 10 DVD or USB installation media.
There is an option to download the upgrade to your computer and run as if it’s a standard windows update, but I would recommend against this as you need to think of the future. If you need to re-install your computer in the future or repair your computers Windows 10 operating system
Backup, backup and don’t forget to backup
Make sure you backup your system first, you can backup your full windows installation using a hard disk cloning tool such as AOMEI backupper Download AOMEI Here
If you are not sure of what a hard disk cloner is, I would strongly suggest not to attempt to upgrade to Windows 10
You can also just do a backup of your files then do a clean installation, but this will require you to setup all your software and any other settings such as mapped network drives, server login configuration, email accounts.
Install on a spare/new hard disk
This is a great way to make sure you have a way back if things go wrong, also an ideal opportunity to upgrade your hard disk or switch to a solid state hard drive.
You can clone your existing windows operating system to the spare drive and upgrade it with Windows 10 or do a fresh install, which would be my recommendation. Of course with a fresh install you will need to re-setup all your software, files and settings but it means you get a clean installation an no quirks from your old operating system.
Windows 10 Upgrade Should I, or Not?
To break it down to basics, if you’re not technically minded and you rely on your computer for work or leisure then don’t bother, get an expert that can help you through the upgrade and any quirks that usually will happen after a major software upgrade.
If your technically minded , have done several backups and you have the time to fix any post installation quirks then of course go for it!